Miami International Film Festival, A Program of Miami Dade College’s MDCulture, Welcomes Some of Hollywood’s Biggest Stars To The Red Carpets Including Mike Myers, Shirley MacLaine, Christopher Plummer, John Turturro, Andy Garcia and Emilio & Gloria Estefan
Miami, February 20, 2014 -
Miami International Film Festival (MIFF),a program of Miami Dade College’s MDCulture, is welcoming an anticipated superb ensemble of celebrated film talent to its 31st edition including an array of Hollywood’s biggest stars, this coming March 7 - 16.
Acclaimed actors, performers and personalities expected to attend include: Mike Myers, Shirley MacLaine, Christopher Plummer, John Turturro,
Andy Garcia, Gloria & Emilio Estefan, and Tom Brokaw. As well, internationally renowned performers expected to attend include Alon Moni Aboutboul from Israel, acclaimed violinist David Garrett from Germany, rising British star David Olyelowo, Brazilian stars Fabricio Boliveira and Daniel Pinto, Latin sensation Osvaldo Rios, and Mexican actress Sophie Alexander-Katz.
In addition, these talented filmmakers expected to attend the Festival, by Festival category include:
Filmmakers: Michael Radford, René Sampaio, Bernard Rose, Marlon Johnson, Emilio Estefan, Chad Tingle, Dennis Scholl, Raymond de Fellita, Juan José Campanella, Gaston Gorali, and Nacho Vigalondo.
· Actors and Subjects: Shirley MacLaine, Christopher Plummer, Fabrício Boliveira, John Turturro, David Garrett, Gloria Estefan, Tom Brokaw, Mark Buoniconti, Nick Buoniconti, Willie Clarke, Helene Smith and Andy Garcia.
· Filmmakers: Alejandro Fernández Almendras, Fernando Coimbra, Neto Villalobos, Patxi Amezcua, Marcelo Gomes, Fernando Eimbcke, Marcelo Tobar, Jorge Durán, Matías Lucchesi, Mar Coll, and Gabriel Durán.
· Actors: Daniel de Oliveira and Sophie Alexander-Katz.
KNIGHT DOCUMENTARY COMPETITION
· Filmmakers: Mike Myers, Tony Gerber, Maxim Pozdorovkin, Javier Polo, Marianne Lamour, John Maloof, Allison Berg, Frank Keraudren, Jon Berlinger, Andrew Rossi, Jesse Moss, Alberto Fuget, and Juliette Maynial.
· Subjects: Shep Gordon.
LEXUS IBERO-AMERICA OPERA PRIMA COMPETITION
· Filmmakers: Samuel Kishi Leopo, Borja Soler, and Maria Gamboa
AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL
· Filmmakers: John Stockwell and Tim Sutton.
CINEMA 360° presented by VIENDOMOVIES
· Filmmakers: Amma Assante, Daniel Sánchez Arévalo, Diego Quemada-Díez, Flora Lau, Hannes Stöhr, Javier Ruiz Caldera, Leticia Tonos, Louise Archambault, Moisés Sepúlveda, Richie Mehta, Simon Brand, and Julián Giraldo.
· Actors: Alon Aboutbou and David Oyelowo.
Filmmaker: Cavi Borges and Gabe Klinger.
· Filmmakers: Ronnie Rivera, Kareem Tabasch, Joey Daoud, Bill Bilowit and Monica Peña.
· Filmmakers and Special Presenters: Bent- Jorgen Perlmutt.
Filmmakers: Alfredo Montero and Ti West.
PAPI SHORTS COMPETITION PRESENTED BY MACY’S
· Filmmakers: Alessandra Gherardi, Samuel Albis, Anna Clara Peltier, Eric Paternot, Justin Malone, and Rodrigo Bellott.
· Filmmakers: Rosita Lama Muvdi, Judith Joan-Walker, and Ahmed Abdelnaser.
FROM THE VAULT
· Photographer Michael Childers will present Jon Voigt’s screen tests for Midnight Cowboy.
More guests are anticipated to be announced in the coming days. The 31st edition of Miami International Film Festival runs March 7-16, 2014.
# # #
Miami International Film Festival (MIFF), celebrating its 31st anniversary March 7 - 16, 2014, is considered the preeminent film festival for showcasing Ibero-American cinema in the U.S., and a major launch pad for all international and documentary cinema. The annual Festival, produced and presented by Miami Dade College, attracts more than 60,000 audience members and more than 400 filmmakers, producers, talent and industry professionals. It is the only major festival housed within a college or university. In the last five years, the Festival has screened films from more than 60 countries, including 300 World, International, North American, U.S. and East Coast Premieres. MIFF's special focus on Ibero-American cinema has made the Festival a natural gateway for the discovery of new talent from this diverse territory. The Festival also offers unparalleled educational opportunities to film students and the community at large. Major sponsors of the 2014 Festival include Knight Foundation, Lexus and Miami-Dade County. For more, visit miamifilmfestival.com or call 305-237-MIFF (3456).
MDCulture is the Cultural Affairs Department of Miami Dade College (MDC). Comprising the Miami Book Fair International, Miami International Film Festival, Tower Theater, the Center for Literature and Theatre, Koubek Center, Freedom Tower, MDC Live Arts and MDC Galleries and Museum of Art + Design, MDCulture is committed to providing everyone the opportunity to come in contact with innovative thinkers, creators and tradition bearers from around the world. With each presentation, MDCulture offers a bridge between cultures and ideas, creating new opportunities for the increasingly diverse population of Miami to come together through shared live arts experiences. For more, visit mdculture.org.
Lexus launched in 1989 with two luxury sedans and a commitment to pursue perfection. Since that time, Lexus has expanded its line-up to meet the needs of global luxury customers. In every vehicle, Lexus incorporates innovative technologies, high-quality designs and luxury materials. With numerous models featuring Lexus Hybrid Drive, Lexus is the luxury hybrid leader and is dedicated to developing vehicles that are kinder to the Earth. Lexus’ current vehicles incorporate outstanding driving dynamic characteristics and feature a new design language that includes a spindle grille and distinctive lights, creating a signature look and feel for the luxury brand. In the United States, Lexus models are sold through 232 dealers who are committed to exemplary customer service.
The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation supports transformational ideas that promote quality journalism, advance media innovation, engage communities and foster the arts. The foundation believes that democracy thrives when people and communities are informed and engaged. For more, visit KnightFoundation.org.
For tickets and more information, please visit www.miamifilmfestival.com or call 305-237-FILM(3456).
Jessica Wade Pfeffer, Jessica Wade Inc. | Tel: +1 305-804-8424 | email@example.com
Juan Mendieta, 305-237-7611, firstname.lastname@example.org, MDC communications director
Tere Estorino Florin, 305-237-3949, email@example.com, MDC media relations director
Sue Arrowsmith, 305-237-3710, firstname.lastname@example.org, media specialist
Roxana Romero, 305-237-3366, email@example.com, media specialist
Kai Hill, 305-237-3359, firstname.lastname@example.org, media specialist