Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education
Beginning in fall 2012, we launched the Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education (BS-ECE), a state-approved teacher education program leading to:
- A State of Florida professional teacher certification in Birth to Age 4 and Age 3 to Grade 3
- Three endorsements: English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Prekindergarten Disabilities, and Reading.
- A degree program that satisfies all Head Start mandates.
- Multiple teaching opportunities in Early Childhood Centers and public/private schools.
- Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree or Sixty credits (including all General Education requirements)
- Note: Students with AS degrees may need to take additional courses to complete the General Education requirements in order to be fully admitted.
- Grade Point Average- Minimum of 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- All sections of the General Knowledge Test
- Required Education Prerequisites Courses (must earn a grade of “C” or better)
- EDF1005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- EDF2085 Introduction to Diversity
- EME2040 Introduction to Educational Technology
- Foreign language- two consecutive years of advanced foreign language in high school (must provide transcript) or 8-10 credits of college coursework in foreign language
- Diversity- nine (9) credits of diversity at the lower division
- Computer competency- CGS1060 with a minimum grade of “C” or be exempt from the course through testing
- General Knowledge Test
- Meet with a School of Education advisor to ensure that all graduation requirements are met before Internship. Requirements are based upon the year and term of entry into the School of Education baccalaureate program.
- Internship completed
- Passing scores on all parts of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (General Knowledge Test, Professional Exam and Subject Area Test)
- Coursework completed and having met the following requirements:
- Junior and Senior Year – Minimum 48 credits plus
- 12 additional ECE Credit Courses
- “C” or better in each professional education course
- Overall GPA of 2.5
- At least 30 hours of coursework completed at MDC
- Clinical experiences at proper teaching levels and types of settings
- School of Education E-Portfolio approved demonstrating mastery of all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices
- Recommendation of the faculty of the School of Education
NOTE: There may be changes in these requirements based upon revisions in State certification requirements or MDC program revisions. Students must see a School of Education advisor for clarification.