Dade County Temporary Instructor Training
Substitute Teacher Program Overview
Federal legislation requires that districts hire only “highly qualified” substitute teachers.
Miami Dade School of Education can satisfy this requirement with a one credit course, EDG 2311 that complies with F. S. 1012.35. The Temporary Instructor Training course includes the following: knowledge of district policies and procedures addressing school safety and security protocols, educational liability laws, ethics, and professional responsibilities.
Apply now and start on your path to a rewarding career as a Miami Dade County Public Schools Temporary Instructor.
1012.35 Substitute teachers.
(1) Each district school board shall adopt rules prescribing the compensation of, and the procedure for employment of, substitute teachers.
(a) The procedure for employment must include, but is not limited to, the filing of a complete set of fingerprints as required in s.1012.32; documentation of a minimum education level of a high school diploma or equivalent, and completion of an initial orientation and training program in district policies and procedures addressing school safety and security procedures, educational liability laws, professional responsibilities and ethics.
(b) Candidates who have no prior teaching experience, as determined by the employing school district, must complete an additional training program that includes classroom management skills and instructional strategies.
- Full admission to Miami Dade College
- 60 credits or more with a 2.5 or higher GPA
M-DCPS Temporary Instructor employment application requirements include:
- Online Application through the M-DCPS application system
- Two reference evaluation forms and telephone numbers from current employer/supervisor
- Official transcripts (evidencing 60 or more credits from an accredited college or university)
- Passing score on all four subtests of the General Knowledge Test (GKT)
- MDC official transcript indicating a “C” or higher in EDG2311
- Fingerprinting and background clearance conducted by M-DCPS
- Drug test conducted by M-DCPS and passed