Frequently Asked Questions
Computer and Network Resource Related
Q: PC does not power up
A: 1. Check if the pc power cord is plugged into the electricity.
2. Check if the power strip is turned on.
Q: Unable to browse on the Internet or access your network drives
A: 1. Restart your computer.
2. Make sure that the network cable is connected to your computer and to the network jack on the wall.
3. If the problem persists, please call the Helpdesk at 7-2620 option 1.
Q: I am running out of space on the H drive, how much space do I have?
A: 1. Double click the Computer Icon on the Desktop
2. Right Click the “H” Drive and select properties
3. Check the Capacity/Used Space/Free space
Q: I need more space on my H drive, how can I request for an increase?
A: With proper justification, your supervisor may request an increase to your H drive by completing this form, http://www.mdc.edu/kendall/cns/forms_helpdesk.asp
Q: A file in my network drive is lost or corrupted, how can I restore it?
A: 1. Click on my computer
2. Select your network drive and click on Restore previous version
3. Select the date you know you had a good copy and copy the file or folder to the destination of your preference.
4. If you do not feel comfortable with the previous steps, you can request assistance by completing this form http://www.mdc.edu/kendall/cns/forms_helpdesk.asp , include the path, file name, and the date you know you had a good copy.
Printing and Problems Related
Q: How can I install my network printer?
A: 1. go to start, Run and type \\kprint1 <Enter>
2. Browse through the list of printers and select the printer of your preference
Q: I am having problems printing from mainframe who do I contact?
A: 1. First check if you can print from Word or any other application, if you can, your printer is working properly, contact mainframe at 7-2505.
2. If you are unable to print from regular application, call the helpdesk at 7-2620 option 1
User Account Related
Q: How do I unlock my user account?
A: Call the CNS helpdesk 7-2620 option 1
Q: Why my password locked?
A: For security purpose, password gets locked after five (5) consecutive invalid attempts and does not automatically unlock.
Q: How do I reset or change my password?
A: http://resetpassword.mdc.edu If a challenged question has not been setup please call the CNS helpdesk 7-2620 option 1.
Q: I am having problems with my mainframe account and password, who do I contact?
A: For mainframe related issue, call 7-2505
Q: What are the password requirements?
A: Passwords must be 8 characters or more and must contain characters from at least three (3) of the following:
a. English upper case letters (A, B, C, ... Z)
b. English lower case letters (a, b, c, ...z)
c. Numbers (0, 1, 2, 9)
d. Non-alphanumeric ("special characters") such as punctuation symbols
Q: How often should I change my password?
A: You passwords expire every 90 days. You will be prompted.
Q: How do I create a retiree account?
A: A user should make sure that they are classified in HR as a retiree then proceed to http://www.mdc.edu/main/retirees/ , then click on Create MyMDCRetiree Account
E-mail and Smart Phone/Device configuration
Q: How do I archive email?
Q: How do I access my mail from home?
Q: How do I configure my iPhone or iPod touch with the college's employee email system?
Q: How do I configure my BlackBerry device with the college's employee email system?
Online and other Resources
Q: I am having problem accessing resources from outside the college
A: Make sure that you are typing your user name and password as shown below
User name: mdcc\Username
Q: How do I access a class roster?
A: 1. Visit www.mdc.edu
2. Click on Employees and login to the MDC system.
3. On left hand side click on Faculty Resources and then click on Academic Management System.
Q: How to view paystub?
A: 1. Visit www.mdc.edu.
2. Click on Employees and login to the MDC system, mdcc\Username
3. Click on My Personal Records. 4. Click on View My Paystub.
Q: I would like to learn more and what is new with Outlook 2010
A: Getting started with Outlook 2010, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/getting-started-with-outlook-2010-HA010370219.aspx
Q: Does the college provide copy of Microsoft Windows 7 and Office 2010 to the employees to install at home?
A: Yes, they are available for checkout from the Library.
Q: What are the phone numbers for other campuses network services?