How to Choose the Right Nonprofit Community Partner
First, check with your professor for specific service-learning placement instructions. If you are instructed to find a project using our website, use the following directions.
You can search for an agency where you will complete your service-learning project. You can search based on issue area or major/class subject. You will get more results and choices when you click only one of the boxes and then click "Search". You'll find the name of the agency, their location, a contact person, and details about the agency's needs for volunteers. You will see at the bottom of each box whether the agency has a minimum time commitment, requires a background check, or is wheelchair accessible.
Take some time to read through the details to find an opportunity that relates to your service-learning class and that works for you. Once you select an agency, you'll need to call or email the contact person for that agency. Please be patient and understand that you may need to call or email a few times before you get in touch with the contact person.
How to Communicate with Community Partners
Students completing academic service-learning projects will need to contact a nonprofit organization before registering on this website. You will still register in our system, and you need to be in direct contact with the agency as well.
When contacting an agency of interest, be prepared let them know that you are an MDC student participating in a service-learning project, as well as the following:
- I'm required to do ___ hours this semester.
- I need to have my service hours completed by ____________.
- I would like to work with your agency because ____________.
- The skills I can bring to your agency include _______________.
- Would it be possible for me to work with your agency this semester?
- Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to working with you!
How to Register
The registration process is simple! Just follow this guide:
How to Complete Paperwork
Once you finish the registration process, you will see a blue link to print your service-learning paperwork. You will print two pages:
- Service-Learning Contract: You will need to fill out the contract and have it signed by your supervisor at the agency by the time you start your hours.
- Service-Learning Hour Report & Student Evaluation: You will bring this with you every time you do service to log your hours. Your supervisor will sign each time you serve, and will evaluate you at the end of your project. This will be due before the end of the semester.
Please return these forms to your professor or your campus iCED office based on your professor's instructions.
Always ask your professor about specific paperwork deadlines
How to Give us Feedback
In order to improve the quality of service-learning for other students, we need to know what you liked or disliked about your experience. Doing this is simple! Just log in with your MDC user name and password. Then click the link that says Survey for the project for which you will be providing feedback. The whole process takes only a few minutes, and the information you provide helps us improve our program.