Eduardo J. Padrón
Office of the President
300 N.E. Second Avenue
Miami, Florida 33132-2297
Message From the President
Thursday, October 12, 2006
MDC's Revised General Education Outcomes Approved
I am pleased to announce that MDC's College-wide Academic and Student Support Council (CASSC) unanimously approved the revised general education outcomes at its October 10th meeting. These revised outcomes are the product of a conversation involving faculty and staff that began in 2005, and reflect what Miami Dade College graduates need to achieve to be successful in the 21st Century.
General Education Outcome Statements
Purpose: Through the academic disciplines and co-curricular activities, general education provides multiple, varied, and intentional learning experiences to facilitate the acquisition of fundamental knowledge and skills and the development of attitudes that foster effective citizenship and life-long learning.
As graduates of Miami Dade College, students will be able to:
- Communicate effectively using listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.
- Use quantitative analytical skills to evaluate and process numerical data.
- Solve problems using critical and creative thinking and scientific reasoning.
- Formulate strategies to locate, evaluate, and apply information.
- Demonstrate knowledge of diverse cultures, including global and historical perspectives.
- Create strategies that can be used to fulfill personal, civic, and social responsibilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical thinking and its application to issues in society.
- Use computer and emerging technologies effectively.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for aesthetics and creative activities.
- Describe how natural systems function and recognize the impact of humans on the environment.
I congratulate the General Education Team and the co-chairs, Dr. Lenore Rodicio and Dr. Lois Willoughby, for leading the MDC community through this conversation and advancing Learning Agenda II. In order to continue the conversation and to assess these outcomes, Provost Goonen will be appointing a General Education Committee and General Education Assessment Team, consisting of faculty and administrators. I appreciate your participation in this conversation and look forward to your future contributions.