Eduardo J. Padrón
Office of the President
300 N.E. Second Avenue
Miami, Florida 33132-2297
Message From the President
Friday, September 05, 2008
Preparing for Hurricane Ike
Members of Miami Dade College's emergency preparedness team are readying the College for the potential impact of Hurricane Ike. Please visit MDC Alerts and confirm that your contact information is up to date, and if you have not already registered, please do so immediately. Please take this time to review emergency workplace plans and finalize storm preparations at home. In fact, use this weekend to put personal hurricane plans in place.
While we fully anticipate that the College will be open on Monday, the emergency preparedness team will convene throughout the weekend and will expeditiously inform the college community regarding special instructions or changes to the status of operations. Essential personnel should consult with their supervisors as to reporting.
Updates regarding the status of College operations will be distributed via the following vehicles:
- MDC Hotline: 305-237-7500.
- MDC Employee Hotline: 305-237-7505.
- MDC Alerts: Registered users will receive an alert from the College's new wireless emergency notification system when there are recommended protective actions or a change in normally scheduled College operations.
- MDC Home page: www.mdc.edu.
- Local media: Postings regarding College closing and reopening information and other important news will be communicated to the major media.
Because of the uncertainty surrounding the track of Hurricane Ike, please exercise caution when traveling. Please also check the College hotlines and Web site over the weekend.