Eduardo J. Padrón
Office of the President
300 N.E. Second Avenue
Miami, Florida 33132-2297
Message From the President
Friday, May 25, 2012
Preparing for Hurricane Season
This August marks the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew and re-enforces the value of planning for the Atlantic hurricane season. While hurricane season officially kicks off on Friday, June 1, a tropical storm has already developed off the Carolinas, showing just how volatile the season can be.
The College's contingency plan is in place and I strongly encourage each of you to review your personal emergency plans or create one by clicking here. You may wish to consult MDC's Emergency Preparedness website, human resources' Hurricane Preparedness Guides or http://www.readysouthflorida.org.
MDC Alerts will be one of the College's main communication tools during hurricane season. If you have not already registered to receive alerts via the College's wireless emergency notification system, please click here to sign up now.
During hurricane season, emergency information will be communicated via the following primary vehicles:
- MDC Hotline: 305-237-7500. Provides general information and updates.
- MDC Employee Hotline: 305-237-7505. Provides more detailed information about College and campus conditions, essential employee work schedules and plans.
- MDC Emergency Preparedness website: Provides emergency preparedness resources, including videos and quick links. For timely updates, you may also follow the Emergency Preparedness department on Twitter and Facebook.
- MDC Alerts: Registered users will receive an alert from the College's wireless emergency notification system when there are recommended protective actions or a change in normally scheduled College operations. As mentioned above, if you have not signed up for MDC Alerts, please do so at the MDC Alerts Web site.
- MDC Home page: Provides general information and updates.
- Email: Important information regarding the status of operations will also be sent to employee and student email lists.
- Local media: Postings regarding College closing and reopening information and other important news will be communicated to the major media.
In the event that the College does close during hurricane season, please call the MDC Employee Hotline at least once daily to receive instructions and the latest information regarding the status of classes and operations.
Communication is vital in supporting our MDC community. If you or your family need help in the aftermath of a storm, please contact your immediate supervisor.
Thank you for taking the time to safely equip your work and home environments. Let's work together to make this hurricane season as safe as possible.