Jump Start on College:
Each semester, students are enrolled in a minimum of three (3) college dual-enrollment courses, taught by MDC faculty, and four (4) high school courses, taught by SAS faculty. After two years at SAS, students will earn a minimum of 36 college credits. Many students graduate with both an Associate in Arts degree and a high school diploma as a result of success on the AP exams, CLEP exams, and summer school at MDC.
One hundred percent (100%) of our students graduate and continue their academic studies at colleges and universities in Florida, throughout the nation, or at foreign universities. (Some have been accepted at such prestigious universities as Cornell, NYU, Yale, University of Chicago, Harvard, Emory, Georgetown, Stanford, University of Edinburgh, and all the universities in the state of Florida.)
The school population reflects the religious, ethnic, and cultural diversity of the community. The school prides itself on its family-like environment, small school setting, and its focus on the humanities and a traditional education. The small high school environment affords the opportunity for individual student tutoring, counseling, and mentoring by faculty and staff. Students and faculty are supported by parental and community involvement. The environment provides a unique transition between secondary and post-secondary education.
Students admitted to SAS receive free tuition and fees, free textbooks and materials, and, if eligible, school bus and metro-rail transportation funded by MDCPS.
MDCPS Superintendent Alberto Carvalho's Announcements:
Recent SAS Accomplishments and Distinctions
- SAS was ranked as the #1 high school in Florida by Niche in 2016
- 268 graduates in the SAS Class of 2016 (99%) earned an Associate of Arts degree at MDC
- 50% of the SAS Class of 2016 were designated at one of the levels of Advanced Placement Scholars
- SAS is consistently #1 in SAT and ACT test scores each year for public schools in Miami
- SAS has consistently produced students each year that are recognized for Silver Knight Awards
- 100% of recent graduating classes at SAS were designated as either Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Summa Cum Laude honors graduates
- SAS has been nationally recognized by U.S. News and World Report, Newsweek, Daily Beast, and the Washington Post as one of the top high schools in America
- 55% of the SAS Class of 2016 were admitted to one or more Top 50 national colleges or universities
- SAS has consistently graduated students who were designated as Merit Scholars, National Hispanic Scholars, Posse Scholars, QuestBridge Scholars, Burger King Scholars, and Jack Kent Cooke Scholars