The Mission of Miami Dade College is to change lives through the opportunity of education.
As democracy’s college, MDC provides high-quality teaching and learning experiences that are accessible and affordable to meet the needs of our diverse students and prepare them to be responsible global citizens and successful lifelong learners. The College embraces its responsibility to serve as an economic, cultural and civic beacon in our community.
The Mission of Medical Campus is to provide students with affordable, accessible, quality education in health care careers. Faculty and staff strive to respond to the changing needs of students, health care providers, and health care consumers in the community at large through collaboration with health care and business communities. The Campus provides an environment that is conductive to learning by recognizing and responding to the diverse learning styles, cultures, and resources of its students.
The Mission of the School of Health Sciences is to provide excellent, affordable, accessible health care education and to promote quality health care services in our community.
The Mission of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is to provide a comprehensive, sequential curriculum in the diagnostic medical sonography and echocardiography fields, built on the foundation of the general education already acquired, in order to develop a Diagnostic Medical Songrapher and Echocardiographer, that is competent in knowledge, skills, and behaviors so that he/she will become an effective member of the health care team. The program seeks to develop graduates who will:
- Understand the basic principles of Diagnostic Medical Sonography and its disciplines
- Function in entry-level Diagnostic Medical Sonography positioning
- Recognize the importance of the patient in the provision of health care
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Diagnostic Medical Sonographer’s role in relation to the function and organization of other allied health professions
- Demonstrate preparedness for the registry examinations in Abdominal, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Adult Echocardiography, and Sonography Principles and Instrumenation administered by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Demonstrate the ability to perform current sonography procedures and modalities in Abdominal Ultrasound, Obstetrics and Gynecology Ultrasound, and Adult Echocardiography
- Conduct himself/herself in an ethical and professional manner
- Communicate effectively using listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills
- Demonstrate the ability to provide basic patient care and comfort
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the probability of biological effects in clinical ultrasound examination
- Recognize the need for continued learning in order to adapt to changes and challenges within the profession of diagnostic medical sonography
Miami Dade College Learning Outcomes
Miami Dade College has adopted the General Education Outcomes listed below. Upon completion of a program of study at the Medical Campus, graduates from Miami Dade College should emulate these outcomes.
- Communicate effectively using listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Use quantitative analytical skills to evaluate and process numerical data.
- Solve problems using critical and creative thinking and scientific reasoning.
- Formulate strategies to locate, evaluate, and apply information.
- Demonstrate knowledge of diverse cultures, including global and historical perspectives.
- Create strategies that can be used to fulfill personal, civic, and social responsibilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical thinking and its application to issues in society.
- Use computer and emerging technologies effectively.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for aesthetics and creative activities.
- Describe how natural systems function and recognize the impact of humans on the environment.