Make an Appointment
Operating Hours: Spring 2018
Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Writing Center Staff
Tutoring Specialists: Gail Powell, Jose Pombo, Elena Parrish and Carol Pierce.
Phone: (305) 237-3466
Room: 2301-3B, in the Learning SPOT
Get assistance ENC 1101, ENC 1102, ENC 2300, and other classes across the curriculum. Skilled tutors and professors are at the Writing Center to help students with grammar, essays, research papers, and more!
The Writing Center provides tutorial assistance to all registered students in college level classes. All students wanting assistance from the Writing Center MUST be registered on our appointment system WCOnline. To register and make appointments, go to mdc.mywonline.com. While we take walk-in appointments based on availability, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with a tutor to make the most effective use of your time. We will answer questions about assignments and papers that you are currently working on for any of your classes. During your session, we guide you through the editing and revising process so that you will be able to find and correct errors yourself. Our goal is to serve as excellent resources to help you identify learning strategies which will assist you in improving your own writing process.
Credit Courses Available through the English and Communications Department
If you are looking to improve your writing skills through credit courses, the English and Communications Department offers the following courses. If
you are interested in registering in these credit courses or if you have any questions about them, please contact the English Department Academic and Career Advisor, Michelle Almonte, at 305-237-3510.
ENC 1112: Essential Elements of English Grammar
This is a one credit course that emphasizes the rules of written English.
ENC 1113: Writing Skills Review
This is a one credit course for students who need structured help in essay writing. A curriculum is designed to meet the student's individual needs. One-on-one tutorials and small group tutorials are provided to assist the student in mastering the course material.
Non -Credit Courses Available
the Writing Center's non-credit course and receive 10 hours of individual tutoring for the flat fee of $50. Individual tutoring, designed to address the student's specific needs, is provided. This is for current MDC students only.
What to do for your first visit:
- Go to mdc.mywconline.com to register on our appointment system. When you log in, you will be able to see if a tutor is available to assist you.
- If you are here as a drop in student, please wait for assistance and be sure to schedule your next appointment before you leave.
- If you already have an appointment, please wait for your tutor to assist you.
So that we may better assist you, please have the following available:
- Course syllabi and assignment sheet
- A typed copy of your assignment
- Drafts or any source material
- Instructor's comments/feedback
- Specific questions regarding your assignment
If you become one of our many regular students, please note the following: - It is important you keep your scheduled appointment.
- Please be punctual.
- If you have to cancel, call 305-237-3466 to let us know or go to WCOnline and cancel the appointment on the system.
- If you are 15 minutes late, your appointment will be marked as missed and may be given to a student waiting for assistance.