Who is Eligible?
High school graduates who have earned a standard high school diploma, GED, or home school diploma in Miami Dade County during the May-July 2024 period (without a previous degree).
What is Covered?
The American Dream Scholarship funds will be applied at the in-state tuition rate after all other resources available to cover tuition and fees have been applied.
The scholarship covers up to 60 credits toward the completion of an AA or AS, whichever comes first.
Class of 2024 Eligibility Criteria
- You must earn a standard high school diploma, GED, or home school diploma in Miami Dade County.
- You must currently reside in Miami Dade County.
- You must be entering college for the first time or be a graduating dual enrollee.
- You must have a cumulative high school weighted GPA of 3.00 or above.
- You must be admitted to MDC and registered for 12 or more credits for the Fall 2024 semester.
- You must complete the 2024-2025 Federal Financial Aid Application (FAFSA). You do not need to be eligible for federal financial aid, but you must complete the FAFSA application. If you are unable to complete a FAFSA application, please complete the Expected Family Contribution Calculator. Email the results to your campus Financial Aid office.
- You must prove college readiness by meeting one of the two criteria:
- Achieve minimum test scores on approved standardized tests. Any combination of the highest available scores are used in determining your readiness in a skill area. Scores within a two-year period of the test date are considered valid for eligibility purposes. Expired scores will not be used. OR
- Have a cumulative high school weighted GPA of 3.5 or greater.
- Students obtaining a standard high school diploma through Florida Virtual School will be accepted if they reside in Miami Dade County.
- GED recipients must earn the diploma during the time period of May - July 2024 in what would be their senior year in high school.
- Students without a GPA on their transcripts (e.g., home schooled) must earn the diploma during the time period listed above and meet minimum test scores.
- No separate scholarship application is required.
- Apply for admission to MDC and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), but you do not need to be eligible to receive federal financial aid. Please remember that it may take several days for MDC to receive your information even after you request it. Therefore, please allow enough time for this to occur by the deadline.
- If you are unable to complete a FAFSA application, please complete the Expected Family Contribution Calculator. Email the results to your campus Financial Aid office.
MAINTAINING YOUR ELIGIBILITY
To remain an American Dream Scholar you must:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 by the end of every Spring term. Renewal of the scholarship takes effect at the end of the Spring term. Summer courses taken after the renewal process will not apply.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year. The application for the following aid year opens on Oct. 1st of each year. You do not need to be eligible for federal financial aid but you must complete the FAFSA application. If you are unable to complete a FAFSA application, please complete the Expected Family Contribution Calculator. Print and submit the results to your campus Financial Aid office.
- Register for at least 12 credits every Fall and Spring term.
- Be seeking an Associate’s degree.
Failure to meet these requirements by the deadlines will result in the loss of your status as an American Dream Scholar and you will not be awarded any funds you would otherwise be eligible for under this program. There are no provisions for reinstatement. Once you lose eligibility, you will not be able to regain your status as an American Dream Scholar. Remember that courses not passed or withdrawn after the 100% refund date count toward the 60 credit limit of the scholarship.
INFORMATION FOR CURRENT AMERICAN DREAM SCHOLARS
The American Dream Scholarship is awarded for summer courses to continuing American Dream Scholars who met eligibility during the preceding Spring term. There is no minimum credit requirement for the summer term. The American Dream Scholarship will cover the in-state portion of any credits you enroll for during the summer (excluding special fees from the Aviation & Culinary programs). Enrollment in summer is optional.